Visitor Information Team Volunteers
Chenrezig Institute depends on committed and enthusiastic volunteers to create a culture of wisdom and compassion. Being part of the Visitor Information Team at Chenrezig Institute gives you the opportunity to further your own practice through serving others and working within a practicing and supportive community.
What to Expect
Visitor Information Team roles would suit volunteers who are looking to work in a Buddhist environment and explore how offering service to others is a way of expanding our hearts and minds. You will need to feel confident speaking to groups of visitors, problem solving to meet guests needs, able to answer basic Buddhist questions and reach out to guests to ensure they feel welcome and included in our programs.
Visitor Information Team roles are based around our program. You’ll be sent the program and asked to commit to particular events. Your hours will mirror the event plus a little time before and after to ensure our guest are settled in and happy.
What are the Benefits?
- You get first access to what’s on the program so you’ll always know what’s happening on the program
- You get free access to the teaching you support
- You receive free lunch on the day of the teaching
- On weekend teachings you’ll recieve a free nights accommodation in one of our dorms
- You’ll meet lots of new people committed to discovering and exploring Buddhism
- You’ll have the opportunity to gain new skills and learn about running events
- You’ll enjoy working and contributing to a peaceful and compassionate community
- You’ll create lots of good karma!
What are the Tasks?
As part of your initial training you will be partnered with another more experienced volunteer who will show you the ropes, answer your questions and help you feel confident in your tasks. We will run training sessions throughout the year to support you in your role. Each of these teams has a volunteer leader who will help you get to know your role and your new team-mates.
For the Visitor Information Team tasks may include:
- Setting up the gompa or the wellbeing centre with chairs, cushions etc
- Setting up av equipment including data projector, microphone etc – You will be trained in this
- Preparing a drink for the teacher
- Welcoming guests and marking them off the course list ensuring they have booked for lunch
- Handing out texts and prayer books
- Communicating with reception and the program volunteers to ensure guests needs are met
- Introducing the teacher
- Helping guests feel welcome and included throughout the courses by answering questions, chatting and helping them feel comfortable
- Collecting feedback about the course
- Helping rest the room ready for the next event
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Be able to work independently
- You will need to feel confident speaking to groups of visitors
- Problem solving to meet guests needs,
- Able to answer basic Buddhist questions
- Friendly and able to reach out to guests to ensure they feel welcome and included in our programs.
- Be able to follow directions from your team leader
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working and committed to Chenrezig Institute.
When can I volunteer?
Visitor Information volunteers are needed almost every weekend for both single and two day events. They are also needed for longer retreats throughout the year and special events.
Do I need training?
Yes. Our team leader will chat with you about what skills and interests you already have and what you’d like to develop. We do provide training in specific areas such as how to use our Audio Visual Equipment and all our volunteers are supported with an induction to give you a clear understanding of the program and how to work safely and effectively.
What is it like to spend time with the community at Chenrezig Institute?
Chenrezig Community is made up of Sangha (Nuns and Monks) and lay people from all over the world.
The foundation for the community is Buddhist teachings and this creates a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere.
As a Volunteer we request that, while you are here, you too work within our Code of Conduct so you can easily do this.
To dress modestly at all times and to abstain from:
- Protect living beings (Do not kill – even tiny insects)
- Respect others belongings (Do not steal)
- Speak truthfully (Do not lie)
- Respect Chenrezig Institute as a place for spiritual reflection and personal development (refrain from sexual misconduct)
- Cultivate clarity of mind and body (refrain from using drugs and alcohol)
How does Chenrezig thank you for your service?
Giving service is a great opportunity to work on your mind. We appreciate that you are able to give your time generously with joyous effort.
To thank you for your service Chenrezig offers our Day Volunteers free lunch in the Big Love Café (on the day where you volunteer for a period of greater than five hours). Members of the Visitor Information Team are further supported with access to amazing teachings, and accommodation when they are required to work over weekends.
You can apply for our volunteer program by emailing email@example.com or by completing this form